10 Heating Tips to Keep Your Home Warm
Even with Arizona’s mild winters, you still rely on your home heating system to keep warm for much of the year. Follow these proven home warming tips to stay comfortable without paying more on your heating bills. Remember, many of these tips also help you save on cooling costs in the summer.
- Seal air leaks: You can blame leaky windows and doors for a good portion of your heating bills. Replace worn weatherstripping and cracked caulk to seal heated air inside.
- Improve attic insulation: Peek into the attic. If the floor is bare or you can see joists sticking through the existing batts, you could benefit from adding more insulation.
- Set your programmable thermostat wisely: If you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, install one. Then, set it for energy savings. This means scheduling temperature setbacks when you’re gone all day or sleeping at night to save around 10% on your home heating bills.
- Take advantage of the sun’s heat: Throw open the curtains on south- and west-facing windows to let the sun warm up your home for free. Don’t forget to close the curtains again after dark to insulate the windows against the cold night air.
- Change the air filter: A dirty filter can block airflow, needlessly overworking your heating system. Improve circulation and help your heater run more efficiently by replacing the filter every one to three months or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Open all air registers: If one room feels colder than the rest, check that the air vents aren’t blocked by curtains, rugs, or furniture. While you’re at it, make sure at least 80% of your home’s registers are open to help maintain proper heating system balance.
- Reverse your ceiling fans: Have you ever tried running your ceiling fans in the winter? Set them on low and run them in reverse to circulate heated air trapped near the ceiling back down to ground level without creating a draft.
- Bake to your heart’s content: Your stovetop and oven are like space heaters. This makes winter the perfect time to cook soup on the stove and bake cookies in the oven.
- Maintain your home heating system: A tuned-up heater helps keep your home warm for less, so make it a priority to schedule preventative maintenance once a year.
- Consider zoned heating: Why should you heat your whole house when everyone is hanging out in the family room? Ductless mini-splits allow you to heat the living areas during the day and the bedrooms at night. This zoned heating technique saves energy by only heating part of your home at any given time.
For help with these home heating tips, turn to Meadow Air. We provide heater installation, repair, and maintenance to keep you warm all winter long. We also serve systems of all kinds, including furnaces, heat pumps, and ductless mini-splits. Call us today at (602) 812-0648 or contact us online to learn more or request a free service estimate!